Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The 401(k)s

Both Barb and my plans are with Fidelity, and though they both offer slightly different funds the mix is about the same.

30% in an International Fund
30% in a Growth Fund
20% in a Mid Cap Fund
20% in a Small Cap Fund

Currently I contribute 7% of my pre-tax income to my plan.  In addition to that my company contributes an additional 7%.  This company match is VERY good.

Barb's plan has two option a regular 401(k) option and a Roth 401(k) option.  The regular option comes out pre-tax and taxes are paid on all monies when withdrawn.  With a Roth 401(k) plan all the money goes in post tax, however no taxes are paid, even on gains, when withdrawn.  Since Barb's employer has currently suspended their contribution, we have decided to switch her 6% contribution to the Roth 401(k).

As mentioned above I contribute 7% and Barb 6%.  This lower than what I would like.  Ideally I'd like us to each to be able to contribute 10% at a minimum.  We've talked about getting to that level in the next couple of years.

I am pretty hands off with these two accounts.  Typically only I re-balance them once a year.

Barb's plan is up 26.7% this year after a last year's terrible -43.7%.
My plan is up 32.4% this year, compared to last year's -40.4%

No comments:

Post a Comment